EARLY SEASON MATURITY TESTING
The early season New Zealand market maturity testing initiative is open for 2017 and will apply to all new season avocados collected and tested from now until 31 July 2017.
It is important that consumers who are purchasing new season avocados have a positive experience with the ripening and taste of their fruit. This initiative has been developed to make it easier for all avocado growers to assess the maturity of their fruit prior to harvest and help ensure a positive consumer experience.
NZ Avocado will pay the cost of Eurofins collection and testing for new season avocados to be packed for the New Zealand market, provided that tests meet the requirements of the NZ market early season guidelines:
- Average dry matter across sample must be at least 23%
- New: Sample size to be equivalent to export
- A minimum sample size of 20 fruit per maturity clearance area will apply
- Larger sample sizes may be required for larger maturity clearance areas
- New: Minimum of 90% of number of fruit sampled must be above 20.8% dry matter
- Ethylene ripening to be applied to all fruit